A teenage girl was terrified after she discovered a venomous snake hiding inside her asthma inhaler. The teen was doing her laundry at her home in Bli Bli, Queensland, Australia when she spotted the red-bellied black snake slither right out of the clothes she had just taken inside.
The snake quickly disappeared out of the teen’s sight. Not knowing where it ended up, she quickly discovered that it curled up inside her inhaler. The girl called a team of snake catchers, who managed to capture the creature and rehome it.
Red-bellied black snakes are frequently found on Australia’s east coast. They are responsible for a number of bites every year, but no human deaths have been recorded. However, their venom can cause serious symptoms including bleeding, vomiting, abdominal pain, headaches, diarrhoea, and muscle weakness or pain.
Sunshine Coast Snake Catchers wrote on Facebook, “You would not believe this. This is crazy and we’re super lucky we were able to find the snake.” Team member Stuart McKenzie told 9News, “It’s one of the most incredible places we have ever found a snake before. I couldn’t imagine what it would be like picking it up and discovering it in there.”
While the snake was only a juvenile, Mr. McKenzie said it still could have left a nasty bite. “They are just exploring, seeking food this time of year before it gets cold again,” he said.
“We’ve found them in all sorts of places. Just recently we had a snake become stuck inside the tubing of a screen door,” he added. Red-bellied snakes are native to eastern Australia and are commonly found in forests, swamps, and some urban areas. They usually grow up to two meters long and eat mainly frogs, other reptiles, small mammals, and fish.