Survival Update

The world is yours

Marine Recruit Dies During “Crucible” Training Event

Dalton Beals

A U.S. Marine recruit has died during a “Crucible” event at the service’s boot camp training at Marine Corps Recruit Depot (MCRD) in Parris Island.

The recruit has been identified as 19-year-old Pfc. Dalton Beals.

“On Friday, June 4th, Private First Class Dalton Beals passed away during the conduct of The Crucible with the new Marines of Echo Company,” MCRD Parris Island said in a Facebook post. “Our deepest condolences go out to Dalton’s family and to the Marines and staff of Echo Company. The cause of death is currently under investigation.”

The “Crucible” is a 54-hour training event that takes place in the 10th week of the 12-week Marine Corps boot camp. It is the “final challenge of recruit training” before Marine recruits graduate from boot camp.

Recruits are required to take on physical, mental and moral challenges. They are broken into squads and participate in the challenges on limited food and sleep. The training event also features a nine-mile march from the training grounds to the Iwo Jima flag-raising statue on the base. Once they complete the Crucible, recruits are presented their Eagle, Globe and Anchors, which are symbolic of the Marine Corps and recruits journey to become Marines.

Chief Warrant Officer-3 Bobby Yarbrough, a spokesman for MCRD Parris Island, told Task & Purpose that even though Beals died before the completion of his crucible training, “The Drill instructors and Company staff made the determination that based on his resolve and dedication throughout recruit training and the Crucible, Pfc. Beals earned the title Marine.” reported that Beals, a Pennsville, New Jersey native, was a member of his high school football, wrestling, and track teams.

Stacie Beals, Dalton Beal’s mother, said her son was “the most sincere, kindhearted, sweet and amazing young man” in a GoFundMe page set up on the family’s behalf.

The last time a Marine recruit died during boot camp training at Parris Island was in March of 2016. Raheel Siddiqui, a Muslim recruit, fell to his death from the third floor of his barracks during training. After his death, a hazing investigation led to charges against former Gunnery Sgt. Joseph Felix for physically and mentally abusing Siddiqui prior to his apparent suicide. Felix was convicted and sentenced to 10 years in prison for abusing more than a dozen recruits at Parris Island.