A car burst into flames in Maryland after the driver used hand sanitizer while smoking. A video taken from a news helicopter shows the vehicle in flames in a parking lot as firefighters try to put out the fire.
“Using hand sanitizer and smoking a cigarette is a bad combo in unventilated areas like a car,” a Montgomery County Fire and Rescue Service official told the local ABC affiliate.
According to reports, the driver, who remains anonymous, was smoking a cigarette and then started using hand sanitizer, which ignited from the smoke and set the whole car ablaze like a Molotov cocktail.
Hand sanitizers contain a large amount of alcohol — around 60% ethanol or 70% isopropanol, which makes it highly flammable.
The driver was immediately transported to the hospital, where he was treated for minor burns and other non-life-threatening injuries. The vehicle, however, was torched beyond repair.
This isn’t the first incident of its kind. Last September, a Texas woman suffered severe burns after hand sanitizer on her skin caught fire and exploded as she was lighting a candle.