As the Holidays approach, many people think about adding a dog to their family. If you are considering a gift of a puppy or grown dog to your kids, or significant other, why not consider one that not only will love and play with them, but could also be there to protect them, and help them survive when the shit hits the fan. Here is our list of the 5 top dogs to consider for survival situations.
- Rottweiler – The Rottweiler, affectionately known as “Rotties,” draw their name from Rottweil, Germany, where the breed originated. They are a big strong breed, once known as the “butcher’s dog,” because they were used in Rottweil to heard livestock and pull butcher’s carts loaded with meats and other goods for sale. Rotties are as smart as they are tough. They are easy to train, and as a guard dog, or a protector of your family, you would be hard pressed to find a better breed.
- German Shepherd – If there is one breed of dog that is generally recognized the world over as a “police dog,” a “guard dog,” or an “attack dog,” it is the German Shepard Dog, and with good reason. Smart, strong, intelligent, and because of its protective and loyal nature, it is commonly used for law enforcement and military operations throughout the world. German shepherds are fearless, highly trainable, and exceedingly loyal.
- Labrador Retriever – You may be surprised to find a generally cute and cuddly dog like the Labrador Retriever among this list of “tough guys,” like a Rottweiler or German Shepard, but in a survival situation, a lab is a good choice. They are still a good sized dog, and are extraordinarily loyal and smart, so they have the protective factors and trainability of those other breeds. But what they have in addition, is their amazing hunting and birding skills, which can come in very handy when the Shit Hits the Fan.
- The Rhodesian Ridgeback – If there is an ultimate survival dog, it may very well be the Rhodesian Ridgeback. Bred in South Africa to hunt lions, they combine the best of all of the breeds listed above. As you might imagine, a dog that was bred to take down a lion is large, extremely strong, and very fast. They are fierce, loyal and very trainable. Their hunting skills are unmatched, their stamina almost boundless, and they have been known to go for many days without food or water.
- The Jack Russel Terrier – The Jack Russel is the wolverine of dog breeds. It is the only little dog any self-respecting prepper would ever be caught dead with. Small and tenacious, pound for pound, the Jack Russel is probably the sturdiest, strongest, and fastest breed on this list. They have boundless energy, and amazing vision and hearing, making them the perfect early warning system. Bred to be expert ratters, they can easily catch rats, rabbits, squirrels and other small game.
Of course a dog is more than just another piece of survival gear, but as with any kind of survival gear, do your research, and find the kind of dog that is right for your needs and lifestyle. And once you chose a breed, there is no need to go to an expensive breeder. Go to your local shelter, or find a rescue organization that specializes in the breed you want. You will find a friend for life, and one that one day, may even save yours!